Shankha-Prakshalana (Master Cleansing)
20 Feb 2020 HYN Himalayan Yoga Academy
Shatakarma (Six Cleansing Acts) is the first unit of Hatha Yoga or one of the Saadhaanaa among Sapta-saadhaanaa according to Ghreranda Samhita. Under this, one of the major cleansing process is Shankha prakshalan/ Master Cleansing.
Shankha Prakshalana is the process by which one can cleanse onself in the same way as a conch is cleansed by pouring water form one side and throwing out from the other side. In this process salty warm water (also with lemon) is taken from mouth, and then we do some of the stretch and twist exercises. Water flows out from the rectum. Thus , total undigestable food particles in alimentary canal is cleansed.
The Five Asana of Shankha Prakshalana :
- Tadasana : Stand erect keeping your feet together.Raise your arms overhead with the palms upward .Inhale and lift your heels and stretch as much as you can. Return slowly the heels to the ground. Repeat upward stretch five times.
- Triyaka Tadasana : Take Tadasana position.Bend to the right and then to the left. The movement is from the waist.Bend five times each on either side. Breathe deeply.
- Katichakrasana : Stand erect with your feet about a metre apart.Stretch the arms side ways at the shoulder level.Twist the upper part of the body to the right, bringing the left hand to the rightshoulder and wrapping the right arm around the trunk in a smooth motion.Repeat on the opposite side.Five times each on either side.
- Udarajarshan Asana : Sit in Utkatasana( Squatting Pose) with hands on the knees. Bend the right knee to the ground while turning the trunk to the left. Look behind the body keeping the hands on the knees.Return to starting position. Repeat the same procedure, twisting the body in the opposite direction.Five times each on either side.
- Triyaka Bhujangasna : Take the final positon of basic Bhujangasana . Twist the upper portion of the trunk and head to one side and gaze at the heel.Do it on opposte side of the body. Repeat it five times for each side.
- Take light food on previous night.
- Do not take bath for 2 hours after Shankha Prakshalan take rest in Shavasana for about 30 minutes.
- After completing the Kriya of Shankha Prakshalan take rest in Shavasana for about 30 minutes.
- Take only moong dal Khichadi and rice with 100 gm ghee during the day.
- Don’t drink water and sleep upto 3 hours.
- Don’t take milk, curd, sweet , cold drinks, cold items, pickle for few days.
- No meat products, no alcohols at least 3 weeks.
- Do rest full day.
- If you have high blood pressure and have suffered heart. Attack, please don’t do this kriya.
- Should be performed under the guidance of a yogacharya.
- Do it after 6 months when the season is changed.
Benefits of Shankh Prakshalan :
- Cleanses alimentary canal.
- increase digestive power and make good appetite
- Helps to prevent and cure headache, ear and eye diseases, pyorrhea, mouth disease tonsillitis, heart diseases, diabetes, asthma, piles, menstrual disorder Etc.
- Activates the intestines.
- Removes kidney stones, constipation, acidity, gas and other digestive disorder.
- Rejuvenate your health and life.