Benefits of Cat Cow Pose (Bitilasana Marjaryasana)
10 Feb 2020 HYN Himalayan Yoga Academy
Level : Begineer
Position : Prone
Type : Stretch, Forward-Bend, Back-Bend
Elements : Fire, water , & earth
Cat Cow pose is considered the beginners yoga pose. This name, Marjary and Bitila comes from Sanskrit script, where ‘marjari’ meaning ‘cat’ and ‘bitila’ meaning ‘cow’ is defined. The pose Marjaryasana- Bitilasana is a combination of two poses practiced together to gently warm up the spine and the abdomen for more challenging postures or is sometimes also practiced as a simple restorative pose.This pose stretch the lower spine, hips, back and core muscles. This helps to open the chest and lungs allowing for easier breathing. During this pose, moving the spine this way creates space in between each and every vertebra, regenerating the bone marrow and strengthen the back muscles and improves the flexibility of the spine.
How To Do Cat Cow Pose
· First of All, Come onto your hands and knees. Check if your knees are under your hips and your wrists under your shoulders. Then, Begin in a neutral spine position, with your back flat and your abs engaged.
· As you inhale, let your belly soften, arch your back, and lift your head and tailbone. This part of the stretch is called Cow. With an exhale, round your spine up to the ceiling, pulling your abs toward your spine, and simultaneously tuck your tailbone and chin in. This part is known as Cat.
· Breathing deeply, Continue flowing back and forth from Cat to Cow, Repeat for a minute or so. This is very good fundamental practice before trekking.
Benefits of Cat Cow Pose:
- Improves posture and balance
- Strengthens and stretches the spine and neck
- Stretches the hips, abdomen and back
- Increases coordination
- Massages and stimulates organs in the belly, like the kidneys and adrenal glands
- Creates emotional balance
- Relieves stress and calms the mind
Cat Cow Pose yoga sequences
- Yin Yoga
- Postnatal yoga sequences
- Kids yoga sequences
- Core yoga sequences
- Hip opening yoga sequences
Cat Cow Pose Contraindications
- People with shoulder injuries
- People with Weak or injured knees
- Pregnant women should take guidance