Ushtrasana (Camel Pose)
24 Jan 2020 HYN Himalayan Yoga Academy
Overview : Ushtrasana
Ushtrasana or the Camel Yoga Pose is considered as one of the backward bending asana for strengthening your back and spine. Ushtra in sanskrit refers to a camel and Asana refers to a pose. It is considered as a good asana for improving flexibility of the spine and neck. It keeps entire fitness as well.
How to do Ushtrasana (The Camel Pose)
- Comfortably sit keeping your legs straight at front.
- By Kneeling down and sit on your heels. Keep the heels and knees little apart.
- Then ,raise your body up holding your weight on the knees.
- Stretch your hands slowly backwards and then with chin raised bend your head and back. You can put your hands beside hips on the either sides. Then be stable in this position.
- Then, continue the stretch till your hands reaches down and you can feel the heels of your feet. Rest your hands on the heels.Check if your chest is expanded and you have neck flexed backwards gazing towards the sky.
- Stay in this position as long as you like(comfortable). You can do this position for 30 sec to 2 minutes as per your level.
- In order to release from this posture, you need to kneel down slowly linhaling.Begineers should be very careful.
- You can take rest by getting into the position of Hare Pose ( Shasankasana ), this is the counter pose as well.
- Gives a fine backward bend to the spine and the lumbar region; make thigh muscles and the abdominal muscles elastic; removes congestion in the pelvic region; improves respiration.
- It helps improving digestive,reproductive and excretory organs.
- Increases blood circulation to the brain.
- Helps to improve Posture.
- Reduce the fats in the stomach.
- Improve digestion.
- Don’t do this posture if you have severe knee pain or you have stiff spine should do it carefully.
- Persons with neck related problem should avoid this Ushtrasana
if you wanna learn Yog Asana , have a certificate of your yoga teacher training