Herbs For Brain Health
24 Jan 2020 HYN Himalayan Yoga Academy
Our brain health is essential for normal living and plays a massive role in how to deal correctly with life, which begins as to when we wake up and also plays an important part in how we’re sleeping. It is a truly an amazing organ working around the clock for us.Below we talk about Herbs For Brain Health
Brain-boosting is required for keeping a check on its functioning and there are lots of wonderful herbs, spices, and superfoods that enhance brain power. The natural option is always a better and healthier way of treating an issue, and similarly, the mentioned below herbs work its magic on our brain.
Here are nine super herbs that improve brain functions, and treat various aspects related to brain health or Herbs For Brain Health
A wonder herb, Ginseng is required in the modern world crediting to its stress busting and boosting elements. An adaptogenic herb, Ginseng alleviates mood, improves concentration, attention and memory, lengthens mental and physical endurance, and eases anxiety.
- Eat raw or slightly steam it.
- Stew in water to make tea.
- Add water to freshly sliced Ginseng and steep it for a while.
Pegged as the “herb of longevity,” gotu kola is a staple in traditional Chinese, Indonesian, and Ayurvedic medicine. Practitioners claim the medicinal plant has the power to boost brainpower, heal skin issues, and promote liver and kidney health
- It is better to consume the herb after consulting a doctor and the herb is available in powder form.
Turmeric is a very popular commonly used spice in India and other South East Asian countries. The herb spice is linked to improving brain functioning especially on the parts of memory and attention. As per a study, the herb protects the brain against Alzheimer’s disease, enhances immunity, lowers rate of dementia and more.
The Ayurvedic herb consists of a lot of benefits for various health issues and always helps in combating symptoms of depression, reduces stress; slows reverses or stops neuritic atrophy and prevents brain cell damage. It also prevents age-related degenerative diseases and increases longevity.
- It is available in both powder and capsule form, and it’s better to consume the powder.
- You can mix it in honey and eat 300 gm daily, and while consuming the root extract, eat it twice daily.
- You can combine it with ginger and turmeric in honey and use it in tea.
Ginkgo biloba is a popular supplement and one of the top-selling herbal medicines. Ginkgo biloba extract is collected from the dried green leaves of the plant and is available as liquid extracts, capsules, and tablets. People use it for a variety of reasons.
The aromatic herb is magical if used in food and enhances the taste. Just smelling the herb can give a great boost to your brain. In a study, it is found that patients were faster and accurate on cognitive test after smelling rosemary or its essential oil. Another study reveals that ingredients in the herb protect the brain against free radicals preventing stroke and neurodegeneration.
- Add fresh rosemary in your food, curd, salad, soul, etc. and is the best way to consume the herb.
Sage is a staple herb in various cuisines around the world. it improves brain functioning. The herb has been used for centuries in bringing mental clarity and reduces depletion of noncholinergic and cholinergic neurons in the brain.
- The herb is used in several forms like fresh leaves for aromatic flavor in your food.
- You can sprinkle or garnish it on soups, roast dishes, sauces, etc.
Parsley and Thyme
This is also commonly used herb in the kitchen, both parsley and thyme in our diet helps to boost brainpower. The flavonoid present in the herb named apigenin boosts neuron formation and creates a strong connection between the cells of the brain.
The Ayurvedic herb is wonderful. Brahmi can work wonders by supporting the nervous system and brain. The herb helps the brain spheres (left and right) to work together more synergistically. Brahmi also increases memory, focus, learning capacity and intelligence, reduces stress, provides adrenal support, alleviates anxiety and treats insomnia.
- 300mg of Brahmi per day is required for mental functioning and it is better to consult an Ayurvedic expert before starting.
- Brahmi is available in powder, capsule and juice form.