Ayurveda Tips For Insomnia
22 Mar 2020 HYN Himalayan Yoga Academy
What is Insomnia and Its Ayurvedic Management?
Insomnia, also known as sleeplessness, is a sleep disorder in which people have trouble sleeping. They may have difficulty falling asleep, or staying asleep as long as desired. Insomnia is typically followed by daytime sleepiness, low energy, irritability, and a depressed mood. It may result in an increased risk of motor vehicle collisions, as well as problems focusing and learning. Insomnia can be short term, lasting for days or weeks, or long term, lasting more than a month. Further learn Ayurveda Tips For Insomnia
Ayurveda understands sleep at one of three pillars of healthy sustenance of life, along with Aahara (food) and Brahmacharya (conscious relationships). Moreover, the ancient textbook of Ayurveda, from 2nd century AD, by Acharya Charaka clearly mentions the significance of sleep in various physical and mental health parameters. He mentions that sleep is essential for
a) perception of joy
b) proper physical growth and tissue nourishment
e) logical thinking and retention of acquired knowledge and
f) lengthy and good quality life
Ayurveda Tips for Insomnia :
Therapies Treatment that will greatly help in relieving your Insomnia are as follows :
- Shirodhaara: Shirodhara with Brahmi oil may be beneficial for moderate to severe insomnia. It is feasible to recruit and retain participants for such therapies in the United States. It is important to validate these findings and investigate the mechanism of action using a larger sample and rigorous research design.
- Pichu(Tampoon) – Brahmi (Bacopa monneri) oil at Adhipati & Simanta marma point.
There are several ayurvedic herbs that helps in curing insomnia as follows :
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Guduchi (Tinosporia cordifolia)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Shankhapuspi (Convolvulus pluricaulis)
- Yastimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
Yoga Poses For Insomnia :
- Padangusthasana (Big Toe Pose )
- Agnistambhasana ( Fire Log Pose )
- Uttana Shishosana (Extended Puppy Pose )
- Supine Twist
- Viparita Karani (Legs-Up-the-Wall Pose )
Some Basic Healthy Life Tips For Insomnia :
- Do some exercise everyday—but never late in the evening.
- Avoid caffeine in all forms, especially after lunch time.
- Avoid taking naps during the day.
- Drink buffalo milk. It contains rich amounts of an amino acid, L-tryptophan, which induces sleep.
- Take a nice, long, warm bath before bed-time. Charaka Samhita says that bath is the best remedial measure to counteract exertion.
- Read a book or do some repetitive, calm activity such as chanting a mantra.Japa etc.
- Avoid distractions that may hold your attention and keep you awake, such as watching a suspense movie or a thrilling game,TV serials.
- Make your bedroom comfortable.Create a quiet, dark atmosphere. Use clean, fresh sheets and pillow and keep the room temperature comfortable.