Gayatri Mantra – Meaning, Significance and Benefits
17 Oct 2019 HYN Himalayan Yoga Academy
The Gayatri Mantra is a universal prayer enriched in the Vedas. It was discovered by Sage Viswamitra. He also revealed the benefits of chanting Gayatri mantra. Gayatri Mantra is also known as Savitri Mantra, which addressed to the Immanent and Transcendent Divine which has been given the name “Savita,” meaning that from which all this is born. Learn Gayatri Mantra – Meaning, Significance and Benefits
The mantra is a significant part of the Upanayana Ceremony for young males in the Hindu dharma and has long been chanted by Dvija men as part of their daily rituals. Modern Hindu refine the movements and spread the practice of the mantra to include women and all castes too, and its use is now prevalent. It is especially regarded for Adoration, Meditation, and Prayer.
The Gayatri Mantra
Bhur Bhuvah Svah
Tat Savitur Varenyam
Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi
Dhiyo Yo nah Prachodayat
ॐ भूर्भुवः स्वः
भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि।
धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात॥
Meaning of Gayatri Mantra
“O thou existence Absolute, Creator of the three dimensions, we contemplate upon thy divine light. May He stimulate our intellect and bestow upon us true knowledge.”
In Simple Terms
“O Divine mother, our hearts are filled with darkness. Please make this darkness distant from us and promote illumination within us.”
The First Word “OM” – ॐ
It is also called Pranav because the sound of ‘Om’ or ‘AUM’ comes from the Prana (Vital Vibration), which feels the Universe. The scripture says “Aum Iti Ek Akshara Brahman” (Aum that one syllable is Brahman). It is the sum and substance of all the words that can emanate from the human throat. It is the primordial fundamental sound symbolic of the Universal Absolute.
The Vyahrities – Bhur, Bhuvah, Svah
The above three words of the Gayatri, which literally means “past,” “present,” and “future,” are called Vyahrities. Vyahriti is that which gives knowledge of entire cosmos or “ahriti”. The scripture says: “Visheshenh Aahritih sarva viraat, praahlaanam prakashokaranh vyahritih”. Thus, by uttering these three words, the person who chants it contemplates the Glory of God that illumines the three worlds or the regions of experience.
The Remaining Words
Here is the individual meanings of the rest of the words from the mantra:
- Tat – In simpler term, it means “that”, because it stated description through speech or language, the “Ultimate Reality.”
- Savitur – “Divine Sun” (The ultimate light of wisdom)
- Varenium – “Adore”
- Bhargo – “Illumination”
- Devasya – “Divine Grace”
- Dheemahi – “We Contemplate”
- Dhi – “Intellect”
- Yo – “Who”
- Nah – “Ours”
- Prachodayat – “Requesting/Urging/Praying”
Benefits & Importance of Gayatri Mantra
- It gives people eternal power.
- It is very useful for peace.
- It is the first step to go to the way of the spiritual road.
- It is correlated with God.
- It strengthens the mind and improves the health condition.
- It improves the rhythmic pattern of breathing.
- It keeps our hearts healthy.
- It protects the devotee from all the dangers and guides towards the Divine by intuition.
- It improves our family life.
- It increases learning power.
- It increases concentration.
- It brings prosperity.
#Gyatri Mantra – Meaning, Significance and Benefits