Ashwa Sanchalanasana ( Equestrian Pose)
30 Jun 2021 HYN Himalayan Yoga Academy
Ashwa Sanchalanasana or the equestrian pose is a best pose to stretch and tone the hips, legs, quadriceps, and groin. The asana also opens the chest and stretches the muscles of the rear. It is a superb pose to beat indigestion, constipation. Here is a few more yoga for digestion. Even sciatica (lower back) pain (yoga for sciatica) can become better with this horse posture. Ashwa Sanchalanasana or the Equestrian pose is a component of the Sun Salutation series of asanas. It appears because the 4th pose and therefore the 9th pose in Surya Namaskara.
Steps of Ashwa Sanchalanasana ( Equestrian Pose )
- Sit in vajrasana
- Stand up on the knees with the knees and ankles slightly apart and the arms by the sides.
- Starting with the right side ,take a big step forward ,placing the right foot firmly on the floor so that the thigh is horizontal and the ankle is before or directly under the knee.
- This is the starting position .Centre yourself and inhale deeply .
- Exhale and lunge forward smoothly ,transferring the body weight on to the right leg.
- The left leg becomes strectched back fully as the trunk comes forward ,with the back straight .
- Do not strain. Depending on flexibility , the fingertips or palms may touch the floor ,or bend forward slightly so that the fingertips reach the floor.
- In the final posture ,the right foot , both hands ,left knee and toes support the body. The back is slightly arched and the head faces forward.
- To release the posture ,inhale and roll the body weight back smoothly ,centering in the starting position.
- This is one round .Continue with the forward and backward lunges on this side.
- After practicing on one side ,again stand on both knees ,return to vajrasana and relax.
- Stand on both kness ,take a big step forward with the left foot into the starting position and practice an equal number of rounds on this side.
- Practice upto 10 rounds on each
Benefits of Ashwa Sanchalanasana ( Equestrian Pose )
- This asana tones the abdominal organs and gives the good stretch to the lower back.
- It strengthens the hips ,legs ,ankles and feet ,and induces balance in the nervous system.
People having knee injuries, neck problems should take extra care or completely avoid doing this asana based on the severity