Setu-bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
17 Feb 2020 HYN Himalayan Yoga Academy
LEVEL : Beginner
Anatomy : Digestive System, Shoulders, Spine, Thyroid
Pose Type : Backbend, Heart Opener
setu bandha = the construction of a bridge
It is also called Setu Bandha Sarvangasana.
The Setu Bandha Sarvangasana massages the spine, stretches the chest, neck & hips. It also calms the brain, helps to open the sinuses, reduces headache and opens up your shoulders. This is a great pose for women who experience menopausal symptoms.
Benefits of Setubandhasana / Setu Bandha Sarvangasana:
- Stimulates the thyroid
- Improves posture and open rounded shoulders
- Stretches the abdominal organs and improves digestion
- Tones the female reproductive organs
- Relieves anxiety, fatigue, and insomnia
- Reduces anxiety and insomnia
- Lowers stress
- Alleviates mild depression
Steps for Setu Bandhasana Sarvangasana ( Bridge Pose ) :
- First of All, Lie down on your back with your arms next to your body, palms facing down. Bend your knees and place your feet near your sitting bones, hip-distance wide.
- Then slow inhale and lift your hips high. Check if your knees are aligned over your ankles.
- Interlace your fingers on the floor and tuck your shoulders underneath you. Draw your hands toward your feet.
- Stay in the pose for few minutes with breathing, then release hands, and exhale to lower.
- Neck injury
- Peptic or duodenal ulcers