1 Jan 2022 HYN Himalayan Yoga Academy
Namaskarasana Yoga Pose is the one of the shakti bandha asanas. This Shakti Bandha Asanas can be said as those asanas which are concerned with improving the energy flow within the body and breaking down neuro muscular knots. This yoga pose or asana helps the human body in many ways. The word Namaskarasana is made up of two Sanskrit words they are ”Namaskar“ which means Salutation and “Asana” which means Pose or Posture.
Steps to do the Namaskarasana or The Salutation Pose :
- Squat with the feet on the floor about 60 cm apart.
- The knees should be wide apart and the elbows pressing against the insides of the knees.
- Bring the hands together in front of the chest in a gesture of prayer.
- This is the starting position.
- The eyes may be open or closed.
- Inhale and bend the head backwards. Feel the pressure at the back of the neck.
- Simultaneously, use the elbows to push the knees as wide apart as comfortable.
- Hold this position for 3 seconds while retaining the breath.
- Exhale and straighten the arms directly in front of the body.
- At the same time, push in with the knees, pressing the upper arms inward.
- The head should be bent forward with the chin pressed against the chest.
- Hold this position, retaining the breath, for 3 seconds.
- Return to the starting position.
- This is one round.
- Practice 5 to 10 rounds.
Breathing: Inhale while bringing the palms together in front of the chest. Exhale while extending the arms forward.
Awareness: On the stretch in the groin and compression at the back of the neck, then changing to relaxation of the upper back and shoulder muscles in the forward position, and the breath.
Benefits of Paschima Namaskarasana (Reverse Prayer Pose)
- Paschima Namaskarasana is very good for opening up the shoulder joints. This asana has a profound effect on the nerves and muscles of the thighs, knees, shoulders, arms and neck.
- This asana help as it increases flexibility in the hips
- It benefits by making the shoulder muscles flexible.
- Flexing the shoulder muscles also stretches the muscles of the forearm up to the wrist. This is good for those who engage in typing in front of the computers for hours as this relaxes the muscles of the forearm, wrist, upper arm and the shoulders.
- It releases stress and calms down the mind.
- Paschima Namaskarasana opens the chest and improves breathing.
Not for people with knee problems or sciatica.