Mula Bandha (Root Lock)
18 Oct 2020 HYN Himalayan Yoga Academy
YOGIC BANDHA AND SPIRITUAL IMPORTANCE: PART- II
Major Bandhas & Maha bandha
The sequence should be: firstly, Mula Bandha, then Uddiyana Bandha and then, Jalandhara Bandha and at last the Maha Bandha.
1. Mula bandha: Mula is a Sanskrit word meaning “root.” The “root lock,” as it may also be called, involves contracting the perineum muscles inward, then lifting them upward to hold energy. Moola bandha promotes energy flow to the rectum, stimulating the pelvic muscles and uro-genital organs. It also awakens the individual’s kundalini power. Moola Bandha literally means ‘Root lock’. This bandha relates Brahma Granthi associating to first and second chakra. This bandha locks the energy in the pelvic region of the body. This lock includes the contraction of perineal muscles to lock the energy in the pelvic area.
Starting the bandhas from Moola Bandha is always the best. In Yogic aspects, Bandhas are performed for Kundalini awakening. The Kundalini lies at the root of the spine. It is released by locking prana energy at the root of the spine and stimulating the Mooladhara Chakra. Besides this, all the Nadis starts from the Moola/root area of the spine. Therefore, starting with Moola Bandha stimulates these Nadis to carry the prana/ Life force.
Among all Bandhas, Moola Bandha is the first Bandha to set the Kundalini energy free to flow through the Sushumna nadi. Therefore, bandha practice should start from Moola Bandha. Mulabandha is located at the perineum between the anus and the reproductive organs at the cervix, in females. Mulabandha arises at the bottom central axis of the body.
Steps of Mula Bandha:
- Sit straight on the carpet in Siddhasana, pressing well the perineum with the left heel.
- Keep your back straight, your neck erect and your head pointing forwards.
- Take a deep breath.
- Now breathe out slowly. As you breathe out, first tighten the muscles around your anus and then your pelvic floor muscle and your sphincter muscles.
- Intensify the contraction as you exhale completely.
- Now, bend forward gently and move forward your head and neck to the chest.
- Hold this posture for a few seconds and then release as you inhale.
- Repeat this exercise five times.
MERITS Of Mula Bandha( Root Lock) :
-Mula Bandha balances the energy in the frontal and spinal passages as well as in ida and pingala nadies.
-It protects the low back muscles and forms the stable support of the entire torso and spine.
-It helps build core body strength and hold the postures longer.
-Increases concentration powers and emotional strength.
-Strengthens the pelvic floor.
-Helps to cleanse the body.
-Mulabandha also increases energy and vitality, and improves concentration and mental clarity.
-It tones, purifies, balances, and energizes the pelvic and urogenital region.
-Improves the sexual health of men and women, both.
-It provides relief from mental stresses, negative emotions, and phobias.
-Stimulates the Mooldhara chakra and helps in Kundalini awakening.
Initially you will need to contract the anus and then the genitals regions, but with times we shall be able to relax these areas and then isolate the perineum. Do not strain while holding. In some cases of constipation, light pain, constriction, tightness of the lower abdomen, the perineal region might be too tight and it is recommended to relax the area instead.