Full Moon & Sprituality
8 Apr 2020 HYN Himalayan Yoga Academy
By Erika Bam
“AUM Shraam Shreem Shraaum Sah Chandraya Namah” Recite 30 times Today
The union of the self and the rest existence beyond is Yoga and also the union of the Sun and the Moon. The cause behind whole existenceis the union of two opposites power e.i. the lunar and the solar, the feminine and masculine power, the Ida and Pingala, the Yin and Yang. The spiritual meaning of supermoon is a sign of arousing our consciousness.
The Sun represents worldly thing like our egos, identity, musculine expression, lightness, strength, illuminated soul where as the Moon represents inner world, shadow self, our dreams, emotions, feelings, unconscious beliefs, creativity, feminine expression of our essence, fears.
Masculinity is significant of “consciousness” and femininity is significant of “energy”. The cosmos is totality of “energy” and “consciousness” The seed of manefistation lies in consciousness and what manifests it or what is menifested is identified as energy. The energy is reflective of masculine energy and feminine energy. The union of masculine and feminine energy makes creation possible moreover we must understand that in our body we acquire both masculinity/femininity-masculine energy/feminine energy that is consciousness and energy which hangs on the cosmic love and compassion(compassion is inevitable-inseparable-what completes the whole)
*Sun is masculine energy and Moon is feminine energy. Some traits of femininity are: -creativity (nature,art) -passive resistance (acceptance of intensity of pain) -warrior spirit (ability to be fighter during injustice/crisis) -deep sense of justice,balance and morality(mediatice and power over desire) -stronger awareness of thoughts and feelings(deep thinker and deep love) -multidimensional persona (many sided personality) -self sacrifice for virtue (Dignity over anything).
Why these Full Moon and the New Moon days are held significant?
When the Moon takes the positions, it heightens whatever you are. On that days, if you joyful you become more joyful, if you are loving you become more loving, if you are blissful you become much more blissful, if you are little insane you become much more insane , if you are meditative you become far more meditative. It just enhances everything that you are. So we considered these days more important so that you consciuosly create the right kind of quality in you, so it gets enhanced. We know even ocean goes mad? if you are swimmer on the beach, it is madness for you but if you skipper of large vessels, it is the boon for you. The very ocean is trying to rise, the situation may be conducive for you also to rise probably. If you are willing to make use of it. And the moon’s influence on human life is far more than that. To do anything ourselves to be aware where the moon is could be useful because it creates different types of qualities and energies in the system.
Here we discuss about Moon particularly full moon. To understand the technique or process to perform and menifest feminine traits within yourself.
Humans have been living by lunar cycles for centuries, and in our modern world, connecting to these energies can give us the sense of grounding synergy with the earth and cosmos. The traits of feminine energy can be acquired through understanding of feminine energy within self and connecting it with moon’s energy. While the new moon is time to set the intention for the beginning of activities, the full moon is a time of culmination and fruition.
When the moon is completely full, it’s a spiritual and energetic pinnacle of whatever you want to menifest. As the moon waxes (increases toward full light), our energy builds and we collects information. The waxing moon means a forward-moving energy and momentum that’s great for building things, working toward a goal, or bringing the first phases of a project to fruition. As the moon wanes and the light starts to dwindle, we can begin to release what’s no longer working for us. It’s a great time to reflect on what you’ve built during the waxing phase while shedding anything that doesn’t feel right. As the moon arrives, we can tie up any loose ends and say goodbye to what’s not serving our on our highest purpose.
Rituals and Activities on Fullmoon:
1. Meditate. -Full moon meditations are very effective and it is crucial for energy sensitive people to meditate during full moon as it is easier for them to manifest as well as if ignored to be contained or meditative during fullmoon they might have reversed outcome of it like insomnia, mood swings.
- powerful way to tap the luminous lunar energy and harness the energetic power of the moon’s light fullmoon meditation is a huge opportunity. -before meditation process you can begin with beautiful series of aasana/ Chandra Namaskar-moon salutation for physical preparation/alignment as well as the positive mindset/mindfulness is must.
- Sit comfortably in a space where the moonlight is visible.
- Perform series of aasana you prefer that opens ur body completely and end physical preparation with moon salutation/Chandra Namaskar or we can practice Sun -Moon Sun Salutation. The process must be 10-12 minutes.
- Be in meditation posture according to preference, proper alignment, hand mudra (hasta mudra) e.g. Jnana mudra, Chin mudra,Yoni mudra; Mind mudra (mana mudra) e.g. Shambhawi mudra and also Khechari Mudra.
- Close your eyes and feel the moon’s beams, the luminous light piercing through your body.
- Focus on your breath-in hale-exhale deeply-9-10 times;during exhalation release any tension on thoughts or physical body and during inhalation realize that you are actually inhaling the part of cosmic energy.
- Then focus on the intention you’ve set;the intention should be so positive/harmless to cosmic creatures;you must have realizations that “you are part of cosmos-you are cosmos and cosmos is you”-
- Imagine the energy of moon purifying your body-mind-soul.
- Inhale-exhale deeply for 9-10 times and bow down to the feminine energy/moon.
- Slowly bring your attention back to the space you are in and with open eyes accept the full moon and gaze it for 1-3 minutes.
2. Release : Words have power-words are expression of our thoughts-words are our intentions. The full moon is a potent time for letting go of what’s no longer serving you.
It’s a time of acceptance and forgiveness and remember the power of acceptance and forgiveness is inevitable; it reflects our true nature if we are able to or unable of it. Write down a list of everything you want to release from your life, and read them aloud with intention, either in a full moon circle or solo. Say, “I release you!” or “Thank you for your service—you are free to move on!” Or just in your mind let go of thoughts that holds you back; forgive to all.
3. Moon Gazing/Trataka:
It’s very beneficial to gaze full moon on physical level/for vison and spritual balancing/chakra balancing with Khechari Mudra.
4. Do a manifestation ritual. A simple manifestation ritual can solidify your full moon intentions and help it to fruition. Worshipping fullmoon with offerings like flowers,candles,oil lamp,water and so on…
5. Take a moon bath. The full moon’s light can rejuvenate our psyches. Connect with lunar energy by submerging yourself in water. Draw a healing bath around the time of the full moon before moving to mediation process.
What NOT to do during the Full Moon:
1. Start something new : Full moons are times of intense culmination not initiation.If possible, start your new projects around the new moon and use the three days surrounding the full moon to rest, reflect, and release. It was holidays time around Full Moon and New Moon time on each month in different coutries instead of weekend or other holidays.
2. Overwork or overstress : The full moon is meant to be a celebratory time, but with all the energy it stirs up, it’s easy to overdo it. Avoid getting stressed or overworking yourself.
3. Make life-changing decisions : Emotions are heightened during the full moon, which can prompt knee-jerk reactions. If you’re not grounded, avoid making any sudden decisions.
Note : Don’t worry about doing all of the full moon rituals perfectly! “The intention behind your actions is what matters most” so the rituals differs and are flexible accordingly.
“Hari Om Tat Sat”