Jalaneti (Nasal Cleansing with Water)
24 Sep 2020 HYN Himalayan Yoga Academy
JalaNeti ( Nasal Cleansing with Water )
Introduction of Hatha Yoga:
Hatha Yoga literally means dedication. It is known as power of life or balance of life. In Hatha, ‘Ha’ means Sun and ‘Tha’ means Moon. Haṭha yoga is associated in popular tradition with the Yogis of the Natha cult through its traditional of Shiva and developed by Matsyendranath. Almost all hatha sacred texts belong to the Nath Siddhas, and the important ones are credited to Matsyendranath’s disciple, Gorakhnath, Svatmaram, Gheranda, Bhartuhari, etc. Hatha yoga is the science of purification. Hatha Yoga is a power of method of self-transformation. The main objective of hatha yoga is to create an absolute balance of the interacting activities and process of the physical body, mind and energy.More about Jala Neti
Shatakarma (Six Cleansing Acts):
The Shatkarmas (Sanskrit: षटकर्म, literally six cleansing acts), also known as Shatkriyas, are a set of Yogic purifications of the body, balancing three humours in the body Vata, Pitta, Kapha; It just prepares the well path and set the main work of yoga towards moksha (liberation). These practices, outlined by Yogi Swatmarama in the Haṭha Yoga Pradīpikā and Maharshi Gheranda in Gheranda Samhita as kriyas, are Netī, Dhautī, Naulī, Basti, Kapālabhātī, and Trāṭaka. Tradition Hatha Yoga study is our major course in our Yoga Teacher courses (YTT 200 hrs/300 hrs) at Himalayan Yoga Academy.
“Dhautirbastistathaa Netistraatakam naulikam tathaa;!
Kapalbhaatishchaitaani shat karmani Prachakshate”!! .
Dhauti, Basti, Neti, Trataka, Nauli and Kapalbhati; these are known as shatakarma or the six cleansing process.
Neti is an important part of Shatkarma as a part of hatha Yoga, the yogic system of body cleansing techniques. It is intended mainly to clean the air passageways for balancing solar and lunar energy. Both the Hatha Yoga Pradipika and other sources usually attribute to Neti many beneficial effects that range from profound physiological ones on the body, mind and personality to even clairvoyance. The two main variants are jala neti (जलनेति) using water and the more advanced sutra neti (सूत्रनेति) using string or Ghrihat Neti (घृत).
Jalaneti (जलनेति): It is the nasal cleansing process with salty warm or saline water. We require Neti Pot or any pot with nozzle designed fitting into nostril. This process is very important to cleanse our nostrils and nasal cavity. In current atmosphere and current pandemic situation is very essential to prevent and reduce the effects of virus entry. So the post of video of Jala neti throughout Himalayan Yoga Academy and others medias as well in Websites, Youtube and Facebook gave well benefits to all in this pandemic phase. Any virus including corona can occupy and survive in Nasal and throat cavity since two days to two weeks, so it is very necessary and expressed solution to disperse and reduce the number of virus. At the same time we can rinse and gargle in order to minimize the pathogens and cleanse that zone.
- Fill the neti pot with salty or saline water.
- Stand squarely, legs apart, body weight evenly distributed between the two feet and lean forward.
- Insert slowly and comfortably the nozzle of Neti pot in the left/right one nostril and tilt the head to the right side while starting from left. There should be no force involved.
- Open the mouth slightly and let the breath pass throughout the mouth.
- Keep the whole body relaxed and let the water pass out through the another nostril.
- Keep on thee half of the water through one nostril and remove the neti pot, center the head, then get the nostril dry by letting the water run out of the nose and also blow the left nostril gently
- Practice through another nostril in same way.
- Finally stand erect and do kapalbhati kriya, first one nasika turn by turn and both nostrils.
- Do this blowing kriyas side to side and in half bending position as well.
- It helps to activate all the sensory organs.
- It removes the mucous and pollution from the nasal passages and sinuses.
- It allows the air to flow without any obstruction.
- It helps to prevent respiratory system related illness.
- It calms and influences on the brain.
- It activates depression, anxiety, anger and removes drowsiness.
- It balances the prana flow throughout the both nostrils and corresponds the left and right hemispheres of brain.
- It makes the head feel free, light and fresh.
- It increases the concentration and makes better memory.
- It helps to maintain good health the body.
- It induces the harmony and balance of throughout the body and mind.
- It helps to activate Anjna Chakra and awaken the kundalini.
Note: First you should learn once from experts. We teach here in Himalayan Yoga Academy very well in both Yoga retreat packages and Yoga Teacher Training Course.